Since we launched the Media History Digital Library website in 2011, you have asked us two questions over and over again.
First, when will you make it possible for users to run fulltext searches across the entire collection at once?
Second, when will you digitize Variety (or, more precisely, the portion of Variety that belongs in the public domain)?
You asked. We delivered.
We are very happy to announce the launch of Lantern, the MHDL’s search platform, and the availability of the first 20 years of Variety (Dec. 1905- Feb. 1926; post-production on the next 20 years is underway).
Lantern, our search platform, allows you to search the MHDL collections. You may access Lantern at http://lantern.mediahist.org or simply type a query into the searchbox of the website you are already on.
The MHDL’s searchable collections now include:
· Business Screen (1938-1973)
· Educational Screen (1922-1962)
· The Film Daily (1918-1948)
· International Photographer (1929-1941)
· International Projectionist (1933-1965)
· Transactions of SMPE and Journal of SMPE (1915-1954)
· Motion Picture Magazine (1914-1941)
· Motography (1909-1918)
· Movie Classic (1931-1937)
· Movie Makers (1926-1953)
· Moving Picture World (1907-1919)
· The New Movie Magazine (1929-1935)
· Photoplay (1914-1943)
· Radio Annual and Television Yearbook (1938-1964)
· Radio Digest (1923-1933)
· Radio Mirror (1934-1963)
· Radio Broadcast (1922-1930)
· Sponsor (1946-1964)
· Talking Machine World (1906-1928)
· Variety (1905-1926)
In addition to searching Lantern, we invite you try out the homepage’s interactive magazine gallery. You may visually sort the collections by genre, page count, circulation, and the number of academic citations. The covers link to our holdings of the magazine.
Lantern and the scanning of Variety were made possible through the support and close cooperation of the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Department of Communication Arts. Many of the rare magazines in our collection came from the Library of Congress Packard Campus, and you can see the full list of contributing individuals and sponsors on the credits webpage.
David & Eric